Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Goals

I am a complicated person.  I have obsessive compulsive disorder.  I have really bad anxiety.  I get strong and unbearable panic attacks pretty regularly.  I am a perfectionist.  I set way too many goals and expect myself to accomplish them immediately.  I expect a lot of myself and set my bar high.  I have been suffering from postpartum depression since a couple months after my daughter was born. On top of all that, I am pregnant.  I have a lot of responsibilities.  I am a wife and mother.  I work as a waitress outside of the home.  I am a homemaker inside the home.  I have three church callings.  I have a lot of family and friends that I need and want to keep in touch with. 

I AM OVERWHELMED AND STRESSED! 

So...

I have decided to make some goals.  But rather than setting deadlines and expecting myself to become perfect over night, I will start small and work on one task until I have made it a habit.  I want to post about my goals so that I will hold myself accountable to them.

Here is a list of the goals I will be setting in time:
1.  Daily/Weekly/Yearly... chores list
2.  Meal plans and monthy food budget
3.  Organize my house
4.  Have weekly FHE; Daily family scriptures and prayers
5.  Finish projects I have already started
6.  Know every single family in my ward and neighborhood
7.  Daily exercise
9.  (my list is never ending...there will be more)

I'm starting off with the chores list.  I have been having a difficult pregnancy.  Add a crazy toddler, and my house is always a mess!  I don't want to become a hoarder or so lazy that things just pile up and up and up until I am trapped.  I'm already feeling that way a bit.  I'm always behind on my daily responsibilities.  So I've listed out everything that needs to be done on a regular basis.  I've left time for deep spring and fall cleanings.  I'm really excited about this.  I've been following the schedule for three days now.  I haven't been perfect.  My house needs a lot of help so it's a lot of work up front, but once I get going it'll be mostly maintenance.  =]  Things are flexible so I can adjust as time goes on, but here it is:

*Daily:
- sweep kitchen
- spot mop floor
- dishes, start dishwasher before bed
- wipe down high chair
- basic kitchen wipedown
- laundry in hampers
- basic house clean up
- make beds
- swish toilets

*Weekly:
Mon - bathrooms, kitchen sink, laundry (clothes, towels)
Tues - ironing, grocery shopping, food prep
Wed - trash out (to curb), vacuum (floors, furniture), dust, mop
Thurs - laundry (bedding, blankets), detail high chair
Fri - misc chores (from list I'll post below***)
Sat - trash, vacuum, outside stuff (sweep, mow, weed...)
Sun - family meeting, meal plan, go over coupons/budget

***Rotations:  (these I'll rotate every five weeks throughout the year, with two weeks open for spring and fall deep cleaning.  I will get those deep cleaning lists online when the time comes.)
1. baseboards, check/change AC and heater filters
2. windows and ledges
3. wash fridge, trash cans
4. wash shower curtains, furniture
5. clean oven/stove
* spring and fall cleanings

It seems like a lot of cleaning, but since day one (two days ago), I've already had less cleaning because I've been maintaining.  It's great!  I'm looking forward to it becoming an ingrained habit. 

I've also listed out a schedule for the entire year.  There are 52 weeks in a year and I've listed out the rotations for each week.  Starting with the first week of the year:

1-1
2-2
3-3
4-4
5-5

6-1
7-2
8-3
9-4
10-5

11-1
12-2
13-3
14-4
15-5
16-Spring Cleaning

17-1
18-2
19-3
20-4
21-5

22-1
23-2
24-3
25-4
26-5

27-1
28-2
29-3
30-4
31-5

32-1
33-2
34-3
35-4
36-5

37-1
38-2
39-3
40-4
41-5
42-Fall Cleaning

43-1
44-2
45-3
46-4
47-5

48-1
49-2
50-3
51-4
52-5

So there you have it.  Because I just wrote up this list, I am starting on week 41.  This means that on Friday, I am to do #3 on the rotation list which is deep cleaning the fridge and washing out the trash cans.

I have a hard copy posted on my fridge as a quick reference.  Wish me luck as I try to gain control over my home! 

=]

4 comments:

Carly&Seth said...

girl i feel you so much on this! good list, i'm impressed with how organized you've gotten! have you heard of the fly lady? the book is amazing but you can go to the website and learn about it and sign up for daily email reminders! they lay out a cleaning schedule and you just follow it. http://www.flylady.net click on the "getting started" tab. it's awesome.

Laura & Tyson said...

That's awesome! I'm a little OCD myself so I understand where you're coming from. One thing I had to let go, was thinking my projects had to be PERFECT. Thinking that way made me not want to try new things and even start things I knew how to do. After realizing that things weren't (probably ever) going to turn out exactly how I'd planned made me more willing to try new things.

Oh, and what an awesome chore chart/organizational plan. I need to come up with something like that.

Kristina said...

Carly, I'm totally going to try it! Thanks for letting me know about it. And Laura, I'm the same way. I'm afraid of failure. I look up to you so much and am always so impressed by all you do!

Todd Hansink said...

Uhm, If you have OCD then you might appreciate this post:

http://toddhansink.blogspot.com/2012/02/training-for-first-indoor-rowing.html